Dal Palak, Red Lentil with Spinach
Masoor dal or Red Lentils are power packed with nutrients and has immeasurable health benefits. It doesn't need soaking and gets cooked in just one whistle in pressure cooker.
Red Lentil is available as split dal and whole also. I somehow prefer the whole one.
In winters I enjoy this dal with spinach, making it even more nutritious.
Today I served it with Bajra Rotis(Pearl Millet flat bread).
You can also make this dal without onion and garlic. Trust me ,it tastes equally good.
Masoor pink dal (Red Lentils) 1 1/3 cup
Spinach 3 cups tightly packed 180 gms
Water 2 cup
Salt 2 tsp
Ghee 3 tbsp
Asaefotida a pinch
Cumin Seeds 1 tsp
Green Chili 1 finely chopped
Onion 1 large finely chopped
Garlic 2 tsp finely chopped (optional)
Tomatoes 2 large chopped
Ginger 2 tsp grated
Red Chili pd 2 tsp
Turmeric powder 1 tsp
Lemon juice 2 tsp.
Ghee 1 tbsp
Red whole chili. 1
Red chili powder 1/2 tsp
1. Wash and chop the spinach very finely.
2. Wash the lentils 3 times in running water
3. Pressure cook lentils with spinach ,two cups water and salt for one wistle
4. Let the pressure drop naturally , open the pressure cooker and mix the contents well
5. Heat ghee in a large pan/ kadhai , add asaefotida and cumin seeds
6. When the cumin seeds turn golden add green chili, garlic ( if using) and onion in this order.
7. Fry on low heat till onions turn soft and pink.
8. Add tomatoes and ginger.
9. Cook covered on low heat till tomatoes soften.
10. Mash the tomatoes with the back of a ladle , add red chili powder and turmeric powder. Mix well
11. Crush cloves and peppercorn in a mortar and pestle, add it to the pan.
12. Cook till oil floats on top
13. Pour the lentils into the pan mix well
14. Add 1 cup water , bring it to a boil.
15. Let it simmer for 5 mins
16. Add lemon juice
17. Taste and adjust seasoning
18. Check the consistency of the lentils , add boiling water accordingly.
19. Before serving heat ghee in a small pan, add whole chili .
20. Add red chili powder
21. Pour over hot dal
22. Serve immediately
23. Pairs well with Indian Bread and white rice.